[Coco] Multipak redesign/replacement

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Feb 25 11:36:14 EST 2015

On Wednesday 25 February 2015 08:11:59 Mark Marlette wrote:
> I agree and would also like to add.....
>
> In the CC3 the address bus is unbuffered, a disaster in the works if you
> add any capacitance to the lines.

This I believe, if my 63C09 is any indication, much less of a problem in the
63C09 case,  the 63C09 at least seems to have very robust driver outputs,
driving solidly rail to rail at what I found was rise & fall times quite a
few times faster than I ever saw while probing a 68B09.  Thats also fast
enough to make a long cable ring like the liberty bell at the far end. FCC
part 15 compliance isn't.

> From a CoCo SCSI point, most did not implement the SCSI bus properly from a
> bus drive current, termination or full SCSI ID support perspective.
>
> My experimentation in to a CC3 bus extension, left me at a reliability
> issue. Twisting, grounding, termination, shielding, etc....Wanna do it
> right and have 100% reliability, differential T/Rs....Which from a signal
> stand point = lots of parts! Real test is to xfer a hard drive and verify
> that no bit was lost. Hard to do on an extension.......YMMV.
>
> Mark Marlette
> http://www.cloud9tech.com
> mark at cloud9tech.com

Cheers, Gene Heskett