[Coco] Multipak redesign/replacement

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Feb 24 22:33:17 EST 2015

On Tuesday 24 February 2015 21:02:12 RETRO Innovations wrote:
> On 2/24/2015 12:19 AM, Al Hartman wrote:
> > If you check the May 1985 Issue of Rainbow Magazine, page 222 has a
> > review of the Spectrum Projects Multi-Pak Extender Cable.
> >
> > I can't believe Bob Rosen could make something in 1985 that can't be
> > made today. I have one in a box somewhere, and it worked well.
> >
> > 24 inches long, and shielded cable.
> >
> > -[ Al ]-
>
> I can't speak to his product offering, but I am not prepared to create
> something that causes people issues.  I appreciate that certain lengths
> or specific brands of flat cable might do OK on 1.77MHz signals, but
> such cable is not designed for such speeds and should not be used for
> such speeds.
>
> Jim

Au contaire;

Transmission line class 101 is in session:

Such cable is 100% useful at mind boggling speeds.  All we have to do is
follow best practices for a scsi interface.  That means the cable is driven
at the end sourcing the signal by a driver whose source impedance matches the
cable when that cable is looked at as a transmission line, AND that it be
terminated at the other end with a load impedance that matches this
transmisson lines working impedance.

For the typical flat ribbon cable, the interwire impedance is approximately
120 ohms according to the cable pedlars.

So how is this done in the real world for a scsi-II cable, which the specs as
published say can be run as far as 39 meters?  The simplest way to visualize
it is with an "active termination" chip on both ends, which is powered by the
5 volt buss and gives a very low impedance point at its output, holding that
output at 3.3 volts, at both ends of the cable, which is then connected to
the individual wires of the cable with a 120 ohm resistor.  This is done at
both ends of the cable, and only at the ends.  So a signal can be injected at
any point on that 39 meters of cable, with a 5 nanosecond fall time by an
open collector transistor stage pulling  that point of the cable to ground.

This "falling edge" then propagates from where ever it originates, to the ends
of the cable, where it sees this 120 ohm termination resistor.  The resistor
absorbs the signal by std ohms law theory, and since the cable impedance and
the terminating resistor are a close match, very little signal is reflected
from the ends of the cable which could add or subtract from the signal at any
point on the cable.  If they do not match, then there will be a reflection
which will bounce back and forth on the cable until it is all absorbed.

You can hook the open collector driver transistor to the cable at any
arbitrary point, and it will work flawlessly at scsi-II speeds, possibly as
high as 80 megabytes a second flowing on this cable with no errors.

The secret of the no error operation is the closeness of the termination vs
the cables impedance.

When it was first brought forth for use as a storage media interface, the bean
counters didn't like the active termination because it costs money, so only
the top end drives and interfaces entertained it.  And you paid a premium for
such card s and drives, typically another 50 to 100 dollars.

What saw the production lines & was stuffed into the boxes to us used a
resistor pack, usually setup to handle 7 lines per pack, hence 3 packs were
used to cover the active lines of the scsi-II interface.  These resistor
packs had a ground pin, and a pin intended to be connected to the 5 volt bus,
with a 220 ohm resistor in series from the 5 volt connection, with a 330 ohm
resistor tied to the ground pin, so the junction of the two resistors was
then held at 3.0 volts.  It took 3 of them and the power draw to power them
was, and I need to do some math here since we have the equivalent of 21 each
550 ohm resistors in parallel, each such pair across the power rails then
drew 5/550, *21, *5=0.954545454545 per pack. Or nearly 3 watts of power as
heat at both  ends.

Termination wise that resistor combo looked like (using the classic formula
for paralleled resistors, was a 132 ohm resistor, not a perfect match, but
close enough that it did work at reasonable cable lengths.

Then it was found that in order to prevent everything on the buss from being