[Coco] PopStar Pilot blog offline

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Tue Feb 24 18:37:50 EST 2015

On 25/02/2015 3:03 AM, Brian Blake wrote:

> I'll go out on a limb here and say nobody will ever clone a CoCo in
> hardware. Closest we came was Gary Becker, and we all know how that turned out.

FWIW it's on my to-do list. As I have mentioned in the past there were three
of us - all professional hardware & software engineers - actually working on
it at one point but sadly the passing of the main motivator resulted in the
project being shelved for the foreseeable future. :( We were still in the
schematic capture phase but most of the design and component selection had
been done.

I'm also not going to pretend that if resurrected, it will be any time soon
either. It will most likely not eventuate until I have retired, or at least
scaled back my work hours to a part-time load. This is supposed to happen
"any day now" but it could also be 10 years away. Plus I have another
project to complete which is a lot more commercially viable than a Coco
project; the up-side being that it will be a perfect prototype platform for
a Coco project! Given the potential viability of that project, it is
actively being developed now.

As an aside, to throw my opinion into the mix, I hadn't considered an
"expansion" project before this but I'm starting to see the merits.

Regards,