[Coco] OS9Boot file size

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Tue Feb 24 18:25:15 EST 2015

My boot on Vcc is $8654 ($0616 data)... no format or program problems. I typically run 1 hw text window with 2 (2 color) 16k graphics windows for text editors and one 16k (2 color) window for MShell and I can still format an HD  from "/term" or run my C compiler with a 96k ramdisk. MShell itself expands dynamically using get/put buffers as well as forking and chaining modules.
My boot on my Coco 3 is $7D47 ($0606 data) also using Glenside IDE (rbsuper, llide)
Both are dw4 and both use "MyRam" ramdisk.
I also think it has something to do with how many and how large the the data area is assigned for the types of descriptors you're using and how many windows you open on startup. Every hw text screen is 2k and graphics are 16k & 32k (outside system memory), but also using the system for their tables.
I typically load only 7 window descriptors and 7 "/Nx" descriptors (dw4) & 2 "/Zx" descriptors. Also, I can load in external drivers and iniz them for use with no impact on formating an HD.
My Real Coco has no "rb1773" or "/Dx" descriptors, Vcc has rb1773 & 3 descriptors along with emudsk and "/h0" as "/dd".

So there has to be variables in there determined by what types of modules are in your boot... and what you do in startup (like opening more windows).
This is the very reason I was asking. There seems to be those who have smaller boots and no memory for formatting, and those with larger boots and no memory problems.

I have been reading KD's "Inside OS-9 Level II" and I'm trying to put together a road map of what each module does to system memory as well as what the whole system itself requires by default. I know some of this has changed with Nitros9, but the basics are the same.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com