[Coco] Multipak redesign/replacement / New CoCo...

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Feb 24 13:35:07 EST 2015

On Tuesday 24 February 2015 00:57:48 RETRO Innovations wrote:

Jim, these measurements are from a stock 26.3124.

Width of case nose	: 4.224"

Width of pcb incl ears: 3.906"

Length of card edge connector from face of case: 2.0245" ((practical is 1/16"
less due to rubber bumpers on case 1/16" thick.

Connector end clearance cutout in end of board, help locate it laterally
centered in card edge socket:2.860"

Ear connection projections are 1/8" shorter than card edge because the card
edge socket mount bolt stops it.

There are two slots cut even deeper between the ears and the CE pattern so the
edge pattern glass is 2.0965 wide where it goes inside the ce socket, and  is
2.2955 where it straddles the sockets end walls.  These are of sufficient
depth that they do not impede seating of the connector, .2996" short of
matching the grounding ears, and .3995" deep measured from the end of the
edge pattern.

The board extends past the end of the case nose to 2.2065" minus the 1/16th
inch bumper.  And this extension starts at the outside edge of the grounding
ears pattern in copper, coming to a 1/8" flat on the end because the outside
is trimmed off at a 45 degree angle.

I didn't take any measurements for front extension for the case as this, when
the carts are turned 90 degrees so they line up left to right, turns into a
box whose max front to back is a cartridge width + 2x box walls.  TBD IOW.

To give us a handle for when we break it & use a cable jumper, the breakaway
ought to be about 3/4" outside the coco's side port, or nominally 2.8" away
from the end of the edge pattern. 3" would be a plus if board costs don't go
up.  We will have to make a box anyway, and there are a couple 2-56 screw
sized holes behind the ear region that could be used for bolt holes to mount
the removed piece in a cart sized sandwich of similar dimensions for the
CoCoSDC sandwich. I can't reach to get the spacings width, but the near side
of the hole is .815" from the end of the ear projection.  A poorly calibrated
eyeball says they are .175" to .2" from the edge of the board nose on each
side.  Presently has a clip in it for the FCC shielding  sheet retention, so
duplicating that might be a good idea.

Now, to  go ring out an 80 pin IDE cable.  Later.

Cheers Jim, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)