[Coco] PopStar Pilot blog offline

Al Hartman alhartman6 at optonline.net
Tue Feb 24 11:49:30 EST 2015

I know how it feels Brian. I've sold off a lot of my Coco hardware over the
years.

I just sold off my two CocoSDC boards.

I owned two Multi Paks - SOLD!

I owned a Disto Super Controller - Lost (lent it to a software developer who
never used it, and then said his mother threw it out with all his Coco
stuff.)

I had a lot of hardware stolen by someone who "helped me move" and instead
helped himself to choice pieces in my collection.

My original WORKING     1978 Model I was dropped on the floor and broken by
a clumsy family member in my last move.

My fully tricked out TDP-100 was also badly handled by a helper sometime in
my moves from NYC to Philadelphia in the late 90's and the HJL keyboard is
missing a key, and it no longer works (It has a lowerkit, HJL keyboard,
Composite adapter, reset switch, power light, and was pretty nice when it
was working.

I'm disabled, haven't been out of my house except for a doctor appointment
in two months, and my only joy is playing with my classic computers.

I would like an MPI again.

I'm sorry that I haven't developed a computer product since the 1980's. I
had to go earn a living when the 8-bit market collapsed, and that ended up
being Novell Networks and PC-Compatibles in Schools and Businesses. I'm not
a hardware design guy. I never learned electrical engineering. I never
learned C, C++, Java, or Assembler. All of my code has been in BASIC on the
PC, Apple ][, Coco, Timex and TRS-80. Or, various versions of dBase II/III.
But, I can assemble hardware. To support my classic computer hobby I built
an 8-Bit IDE Controller
(http://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/Lo-tech_ISA_CompactFlash_Adapter_revision_2),
and an 8-Bit HD Floppy Controller
(http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-projects/isa-fdc-and-uart), as well as
a TRS-80 Model III HD Controller
(http://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/Lo-tech_TRS-80_IDE_Adapter_rev.2)

I had fun with those projects, and helped others source parts and build
theirs too.

I built a PC/XT and a 486 system so I could image 5.25" floppies for the
TRS-80, Coco, IBM-PC and others. My plan is to offer to make copies of disks
for the cost of media and postage. When I can get a permanent setup other
than my kitchen table.

I found and scanned in manuals for the Coco Burner, Lowerkit II, and Charit
and sent those up to the Archive. I have tons more if I could just get to
them.

So, don't treat me like I'm nobody, who has done nothing for anybody else,
and wants to sit on 30 year old laurels.

I'm trying as best as I can, and with limited funds and mobility to still be
a contribution to the hobby and to others.

I went a little crazy spending money on my credit cards the last two years,
and have had a major decline in my health -- spending more than three months
last year in the hospital. I haven't touched a classic computer in about 8
months. I'll have to get back to it someday soon. Right now, I'm struggling
to pay for all that stuff I charged last year, and make up for losing SNAP
benefits and having my mortgage go up $40 a month without a corresponding
raise in income. Not to mention over $10k in medical debt.

It's not fun at all to see all this neat hardware I'd like to play with and
see it priced way out of my reach.

I have so much neat stuff here I'd love to setup and play with, but I can't
climb a ladder to get at it, or pick up a heavy box, or move furniture to
make room for a new desk. In 2013, my Coco 3 ran on a snack table in my
bedroom hooked up to my bedroom TV. I had to take it down because there was
no room for my sister to take care of me in bed with it setup. She also kept
tripping over the wires.

You have no idea how frustrating this all is.

-[ Al ]-