[Coco] PopStar Pilot blog offline

Al Hartman alhartman6 at optonline.net
Tue Feb 24 10:41:09 EST 2015

I'm sorry, but it isn't rude to ask for what I want. Which is a simple
4-slot MPI clone.

It will be faster to develop, easier to debug, requires no drivers, and will
be the least expensive option.

When you start adding RS-232, sound chips, floppy and hard disk controllers,
and the kitchen sink -- it increases the complexity, development time, and
most importantly... price.

If the CocoSDC cost $200.00, how many less would it have sold?

Go look at Peter Bertlett's MISE project. A wonderful project for the TRS-80
Model I that has lots of stuff in it. It's like a CocoSDC with a real time
clock, Ethernet, VGA, Joystick port, and more...

http://home.comcast.net/~bartlett.p/MISE/

It sells for $350.00 - I think it sold on the order of 20 units altogether,
as opposed to over 100 CocoSDCs.

I would like one, but can't afford one. I couldn't justify it under any
circumstance.

If you think it's rude to ask for a simple, inexpensive MPI clone, I don't
know what to say.

Nick is just upset that his desire to have a mezzanine connector on the
CocoSDC was vetoed. And, is taking it personally that his desire to make the
tail wag the dog with an MPI isn't being jumped on as the next best thing to
sliced bread.

I've suggested tons of times over the past 10 years features for a cloned
Coco. Every time, nothing comes of it. Do I take it personally? No.

I live on a fixed income. I can only afford things that are in the $50 area
every so often. In the last two years, I've sunk hundreds of dollars buying
disk drives, an EPROM eraser, diskettes, DW cable, a USB serial port, and
other things for my Coco. I've contributed software and documentation that I
have that would otherwise be lost. And if I had help to go through my boxes
of stuff, I have tons more software and manuals that people would like to
have. I know somewhere I have a box of MC-10 Terminal software tapes. I know
I have 30 tapes of Coco software like Omni-Klone and others. I have masters
to most every Spectrum Projects program along with manuals, and especially
those programs Zebra Systems licensed and sold in the late 80's as I
re-wrote and put together newer laser printed manuals to replaces the 10th
generation Xeroxed manuals Spectrum provided originally printed on a Juki or
a Dot Matrix Printer.

Developing hardware and software is no place for ego and easily hurt
feelings. If others can feel free to make suggestions, so can I. That's not
rude.

Imagine how it feels to want an MPI, have every eBay auction for one go over
$100.00, and then have hopes for a kit in your price range, and then have
people talking about turning it into some thing you will never be able to
afford.

Think about that before you attack me for being rude.

-[ Al ]-