[Coco] Another NitrOS-9 Newbie Question

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Mon Feb 23 21:42:55 EST 2015

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 09:14:52PM -0500, Stephen Pereira wrote:
> Hi Willard,
>
> Thanks very much for the explanation.  The situation is much more
> complex that I imagined, as usual.

Yeah, it's not just OS-9 versus NitrOS-9, there's also the Level 1
versus Level II differences.

The good news is, once Dynacalc has been patched, it works quite well
under Level II, OS-9 and NitrOS.  Same for OS-9 Profile. Micro
Illustrator runs fine (in a vdg screen) under LII. TS/Word has limits
(tsedit needs patches (but, once patched, is still one of the better
editors under OS-9), tsfmt formatter runs fine, the VSHELL gui and the
graphical print preview(?) don't like LII).

Level I games are more of a hit-or-miss. Biosphere for Level II is a
whole different binary (get it from Boyle's coco games site), Trivia
Fever is exceedingly fussy and only works under OS-9 Level 1 Version
1.00.00. Robot Odyssey, last I heard, won't run under LII (and that's
one I like!!! :-( ). No clue if the Level I Sierra games work under LII.

Most if not all OS-9 Level II stuff works fine under NitroOS Level
II. Occassional patching is required, mostly futzing with TMODE
strings. One gets used to it, I'm afraid. More tedious than difficult.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
  -- R.E. Howard