[Coco] Another NitrOS-9 Newbie Question

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Mon Feb 23 20:45:02 EST 2015

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 06:42:38PM -0500, Stephen Pereira wrote:

> Here's my latest newbie question: If I have NitrOS-9 installed and
> running, should I be able to run applications that were originally
> designed to run on Tandy OS-9?

I can't think of any OS-9 applications that won't work under NitrOS-9.
Some require a little patching, however.

> Some of the application .DSK files appear that they want to be the
> boot disk.  Dynacalc seems to be one of these.  I am pretty certain

Now, Dynacalc is an interesting problem... You see, it's originally a
Level 1 program, and that's an entirely different kettle of fish! I'd
say 90% of Level 1 programs work fine under Level II, but Dynacalc
isn't one.

It requires patches to run on any screen but the 32-col VDG text
screen, and possibly to run under LII at all! If the boot disk is
Level II, then dynacalc has (hopefully) been patched. If it hasn't
then you get to explore the wonderful world of downloading patches
from RTSI, figuring out what patch program the patch wants, and how to
use that program! :-)

> application to load and run?

Humm, for Dynacalc itself? If it's been patched for LII, just put
sys/dterm in your /dd/sys and execute dynacalc. If it hasn't been
patched, it won't know how to control your screen and will look for
/d0/dataterm (or something like that. It's been a long time!)

Humm, you're the guy who needed the 40-column boot disk, right? I
don't actually know if the patched dynacalc supports that screen...

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
  -- R.E. Howard