[Coco] Another NitrOS-9 Newbie Question

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon Feb 23 19:37:55 EST 2015

Stephen, the problem is not usually with OS9/NitrOS9 as they are 100% compatible, but with proper setup. Almost all commercial OS9 products require a little more setup than just execing the program. Dynacalc for example... I bet if you read the manual, there is most likely a config file of sorts that needs to be set up somewhere... usually in "/dd/sys".
Another thing that kills most commercial (and PD) software from running on the modern systems is BAD PROGRAMMING. In the 80s, it was a common programming technique to hard code the drive name into the software... the C compiler has the "/D1" hard coded in a couple of places and has to be changed to "/dd" to be able to run the software from things like HDs and DW4 as well as from a single drive system with no "/d1". This was a problem even in the 80s as after OS9 L2 came out, the "/DD" (default drive) descriptor was introduced but people kept on insisting on using "/d0" & "/d1" in their software. "/dd" is basically your main drive, be it "/h0" or "/sd0", just renamed (internally and externally) to "/dd" to give all software a common drive. When proper drivers are installed, OS9 does not care what kind of drive you're using... it "Just Works"(TM)

The other thing (and usually the most frequent) is users.... People have a tendacy to like their "main" drive as "/h0", "/x0" or something odd... in OS9 L2 your default drive where your CMDS, SYS, DEFS  and LIB dirs reside on the ROOT directory, should ALWAYS be "/DD" regardless of the actual media. Breaking this rule alone can cause literally hundreds of programs not to run. Example... you stick a floppy in "/d0" of your DW4 system... type chd /d0, chx /d0/cmds... type "program" and it crashes with a Error #216 which "Program not found"... it was most likely looking for something on "/dd" which would most likely be your dw4 drive.
Most software needs to be copied to your "/dd".. all cmds in /dd/cmds... all sys in /dd/sys etc. Then if the software is written correctly, it will be able to find all it's files.
There is some software which has "/d0" and "/d1" hard coded and those would have to be altered with "ded" to point to "/dd", then verified so the CRC is correct.

One more thing.. when you extract raw files from "LHA", "AR", "PAK" or any other compression archiver, you must set the attributes of the executable files (attr file e pe). File attributes are not saved by archiving programs so this will always need to be done.
I am not referring to a zip in Windows containing a "dsk" file... but a compressed file in OS9 containing software modules.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com