[Coco] Multi Pack Replacement

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Mon Feb 23 14:46:22 EST 2015

On 24/02/2015 12:55 AM, RETRO Innovations wrote:

> :-), I deserved that.

I was gunned down last time I suggested an expansion connector on the
SDC cart.   :)

> I was originally thinking a pin header, to which a second PCB could be
> attached, such that the two PCBs were parallel, and the second one sat
> under the MPI PCB, making for a clean low profile design. The second
> PCB could be as long as the MPI (well, almost), giving plenty of space
> for connectors and such.

I like the idea of a base board and the option for an expansion board to
"future proof" the project.

When you look at the Tandy MPI, the main board sits up high and level
with the CoCo mainboard (cartridge connectors are on top of this). That
means there is close to 2 inches from the main board to the desk below.
Plenty of room to fit a daughter board underneath and prevent the MPI
from becoming any higher than what it is.

The cartridges could also be made to mount horizontally via a small
vertically mounted bus board from the mainboard with the 4 MPI cartridge
connectors.

This makes for a  low profile MPI  (with full length carts installed)
and the option of expansion.

Nick