[Coco] Multipak redesign/replacement / New CoCo...

Steve Batson steve at batsonphotography.com
Mon Feb 23 13:03:18 EST 2015

And when the aging Legacy Hardware fails and/or is unavailable? Seems
as though most of the other stuff and being remade and people are fine
with it. There are many modern game controllers far superior to the Old
CoCo Joystics in my opinion. As long as new controller can work with it, I
don't see the issue. I'm sure most people playing games are dealing with
other game systems and consoles and used to those controllers. Only thing
hardware wise that really contributes to the "Feel" is the
keyboard, but I can't see many getting all worked up having to use a real
keyboard over the Chicklet keyboard on the original CoCo. There was the
adapter to use PS2 keyboards on the CoCo, so not sure the Keyboard is an
issue. Aside from looking at the case and saying, That's a CoCo, what else
besides the Joystick and keyboard really truly add to the "Feel"
of the real thing that's really that big of a deal? This is all assuming
any emulator is as compatible as possible, has good timing and out
reproduction so the system isn't make you feel the difference.

> The thing for me would be the vintage hardware that you cannot use in
an

> emulator. Joysticks would be a prime example. To me the physical

> hardware

> is part of the retro experience. While I do use emulators, it just
feels

> "better" to be on the actual hardware. Connecting a
cartridge and

> inserting a floppy, having to swap disks is all part of the
experience to