[Coco] Multipak redesign/replacement

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Sun Feb 22 16:01:18 EST 2015

On 23/02/2015 6:46 AM, Joe Grubbs wrote:
> I've said it before and I'll say it again :P   Scope creep.  First iteration should be a simple affair. It's like my CoCoCCR project: Though I'd love to add a million features to it, the first version will be primarily for loading one program (the DW client in my case). Simple, easy to build, inexpensive.

It's also called progress but I get where you coming from.

I am assuming that someone who doesn't own a multi-pak already probably
doesn't own a RS232 or Sound cartridge, so I see this as a way for those
people to obtain these features in a single product rather than find
them all individually and end up paying more in the long run.

On 23/02/2015 6:40 AM, Al Hartman wrote:
> Because adding all that stuff and writing drives is non-trivial, and
> will add over a year to the development as each part is protoyped,
> tested, and coded for...
>
> Cloning a Multi-Pak is easier, and faster, and will give folks like me
> who don't have one, a chance to get one.
>
> If you'd like one like that, you are welcome to make one.
>
> -[ Al ]-

True. Any new device is going to need drivers.

RS-232 would be a clone of the Tandy multi-pak but sound would require
software developers to support it.

Unfortunately, the CoCo is such a small community, commercial level
software development died a long time ago. I even struggle to find the
motivation to finish my game.

Nick