[Coco] Newbie NitrOS-9 questions

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sat Feb 21 15:56:41 EST 2015

Stephen, try dir /X1.
"/d0" - "/d3" are real floppy disk descriptors, not DW4 descriptors.
The DW descriptors are "/X0", "/X1", "/X2", & "/X3" and if you're booting from a DW disk, then "/X0" was probably replaced with "/DD".
If you are trying to "format" a floppy disk image using the DW, then it will try to format it as a large hard drive. These descriptors are set for some oddball size (??).
To make it format as a floppy, you must either use "dmode" and change the descriptor or set the parameters for format to see the proper size drive.
On my Coco 3 system, I have all my "/Xx" desciptors set for the same size that VCC origially used ($5A000) so I can move VHDs between my Coco and VCC as I use both the Coco and Vcc for software developement and switch VHDs quite often.

Just so you'll know.. The naming convention used by NitrOS9 for various types of drives are:
/D0, /D1, /D2, /D3 - real (or emulated) floppy disk drives
/H0, /H1 - Emulator hard drives
/I0, /I1, /Ih - Superdriver IDE, Glenside IDE
/S0, /S1, /S2, /S3, /S4, /S5, /S6, /Sh - TC^3, Superdriver SCSI
/X0, /X1, /X2, /X3 - DriveWire drives
/SD0, /SD1 - CocoSDC drive
/R0 - Ramdisk

/DD - is for "default drive" which can be assigned to any of the above which is determined by the type system you have and which bootdisk you use.

There are other "special" cases, but those are the main ones used in the NitrOS9 repository.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com