[Coco] Color BASIC 1.1 / memory detection

jon bird news at onastick.clara.co.uk
Fri Feb 20 13:55:53 EST 2015

In article
<CA+LuDcfMz7AEv99aXXeDi_2c=_hQbcJ_z2CqQv08j=wNAFWqGA at mail.gmail.com>,
Arthur Flexser <flexser at fiu.edu> writes
>You mean $FF22, not $FF20, right?  (I suppose a bad bit in your Color
>Basic
>ROM is considerably less likely than a typo, though it would explain
>the
>problem.)

>Art

Yes, it's $FF22. Operator incompetence there and on more than one level
because that bit of info made me look a lot closer around the PIA in
question and spotted a jumper (well lack of actually) labelled 64K.
Connect that up and it's coming back with the expected 32K.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Jon.

>On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 5:23 PM, jon bird <news at onastick.clara.co.uk>
>wrote:

>> I've also just had a look through the Color Basic Unravelled document
> try and figure out how the ram size logic works. It seems there are 2
bits
> coming into play from the PIAs:
>
> $FF02, bit #6 "RAM Strobe" (shared with a keyboard column line)
> $FF20, bit #2 "RAM Input"
>
> What seems to happen is that RAM Strobe is driven high, then RAM Input
is
> checked and if zero, the 4K RAM map is selected. Assuming not, RAM
Strobe
> is then driven low and RAM Input checked again. If zero, the 64K map
is
> selected and if one, the 16K map is selected. So my guess is that it's
this
> that is causing the problem.
>
> However I can't find any schematics online to show what this Ram
Strobe
> line actually does. The only ones I can find are from the CoCo
Technical
> Reference Manual which don't show this strobe line (presumably a
latter
> feature). Does anyone have anything on this?
>
> Rgs,
>
> Jon.
>
> In article <CA+LuDccV4+Unb8TO-frQ5sfv01QSxWpsCLOyduobczhQr96
> stQ at mail.gmail.com>, Arthur Flexser <flexser at fiu.edu> writes
>
>> All I can think of is double checking that the jumpers are correctly
set.

>> Maybe also swap the positions of the RAM chips with one another to
see if
>> that makes any difference (grasping at straws).  In the process,
check to
>> make sure none of the RAMs have any bent-under pins.  I would think a
bad
>> or inoperative RAM would keep the CoCo from booting at all, but who
knows?

>  Art
>>

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 12:41 PM, jon bird <news at onastick.clara.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> It's definately a 1.1 ROM, the number is stamped on the chip and to
be
>> sure I pulled the Extended ROM and confirmed it comes up with 1.1.
>>
>> I also did a quick sense check - POKEing some values above the 16K
>> threshold and they all appeared "stuck" at 255. Which suggests that
>>
> the
>
>> SAM has been programmed up for a 16K memory fit.
>>
>> Rgs,
>>
>> Jon.
>>

>> > Art, I have an F-board (chicklet keys) that has both CB & ECB 1.0.
>>
> It was
>
>> > one of the 32k boards that was actually 64k. Oddly, it recognizes
as

> 32k
>
>> > of ram and not as 16k.
>> >

>> > Bill Pierce
>> > "Today is a good day... I woke up" - Ritchie Havens
>> >

>> > My Music from the Tandy/Radio Shack Color Computer 2 & 3
>> > https://sites.google.com/site/dabarnstudio/
>> > Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
>> > http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
>> > E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com