[Coco] Current Status of the "Help Send A Fellow CoCoNut To This Year's CoCoFEST" Campaign

Joe Grubbs jsgrubbs at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 19 10:11:33 EST 2015

Hi John,

I had similar questions about the WordPak2+. It seems information on it is a bit elusive; I got to watch a few YouTube videos that only demonstrated it but offered little technical detail. However here is what I understand of it:

It is meant to replace the functionality of the stock MC6847 (CoCo1-2) or GIME (CoCo3) video display generator. It uses a Yamaha V9958 video display IC which is a much more capable device. It does require the use of external drivers in order to function. So on every boot, you'd need to load the BASIC driver at least. NitrOS9 also presumably has its own driver as well.

It does have a VGA output for use with a VGA monitor, but you have to use a monitor that is capable of the television-like 15.7kHz hsync and not the more typical 31.5kHz.

-Joe