[Coco] Problem with dw command

Fred D. Provoncha elderpav at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 00:29:56 EST 2015

I apologize that I haven't been clearer about what I'm trying to accomplish. A couple of weeks ago I successfully created a NitrOS9 boot disk using the scripts on the most recent nos96809L2v030300coco3_dw.dsk image. The boot disk I created is a 35 track, SSDD disk that resides on Drive 255 of HDB-DOS and boots NitrOS9 entirely from my hard drive. It worked well, but didn't include Drivewire drivers & descriptors. I'm trying to add them so I can access virtual drives on my PC, to facilitate transfer of files from the PC to my Coco. I don't actually need to boot from Drivewire. So now I'm trying to create a new boot disk using the scripts from the aforementioned disk image, with additional modules added from that disk so I can access Drivewire using the DW command. I succeeded in adding rbdw, dwio, x0, & x1, enabling me to access the x0 & x1 drives, but I found I still couldn't use the DW command from NitrOS9. I inquired here on the List, and you suggested that I add scdwv, n, & n1, which I added successfully, and it worked! Thank you! But it only worked because I removed a couple modules from the bootfile, notably KrnP3. I found that if I didn't remove something, then not all the modules in the boot file successfully loaded during the boot process. The last few modules failed to load (notably the Clock modules), which caused the computer to hang or crash during bootup. When I removed Krnp3 & a couple other modules I deemed nonessential, the system booted successfully. So there appears to be a "limit" to how large my bootfile can be.
I did another test today. Using the same disk image, and using the same scripts from that image, I constructed a boot disk containing the following modules:krnp2krnp3_perriomaninitrbf.mnrbdw.drdwio.sbx0.ddx1.ddrbsuper.drlltc3.drdds0_tc3.ddsh_tc3.ddrb1773.drd0_80d.ddd1_80d.ddscf.mnvtio.drkeydrv_cc3.sbsnddrv_cc3.sbjoydrv_joy.sbcowin.ioterm_win80.dtv1.dwscdwp.drn_scdwv.ddn1_scdwv.ddvrn.drvi.ddftdd.ddpipeman.mnpiper.drpipe.ddclock_60hzclock2_cloud9w.dww1.dww2.dww3.dww4.dww5.dww6.dww7.dww8.dww9.dwI copied the boot disk (35T SSDD) to Drive 255 of HDB-DOS, then attempted to boot. I got the following on the boot screen:
KREL Boot Krn tb0......................................................................................................................bKrnP2 KrnP3 IOMan Init RBF rbdw dwio X0 X1 RBSuper lltc3 DD SH rb1773 D0 D1 SCF VTIO KeyDrv SndDrv JoyDrv CoWin CoVDG i2xo*]
NITROS9 BOOT FAILED
So for some reason the system quit loading modules after CoVDG. I figure it must've reached some sort of limit.
Fred ProvonchaStansbury Park, UT