[Coco] Coco 3s with > 512K RAM

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Feb 18 23:46:25 EST 2015

On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 11:09:35 PM Tony Cappellini wrote:
> I seem to remember a few memory mods in the MB range.
> I'm curious how you put that memory to use.
>
> Does Nitros9 support in-memory ram disks (as opposed to the cartridges,
> like the Disto Ramdisk)?
>
> How do you use memory about 512k in your Coco?

I assume you mean above, in which case yes.

See the mr0.dd and mram.dr in the built repo. I wrote that to use up to
about 1.7 megabytes of my 2 meg disto kit that is in my main machine as a
ramdisk. If those are in your bootfile, then a simple "dir /r0" will pause
for 100 milliseconds while it formats it at whatever size you have it set
for, and will then show you an empty directory, faster that you can get a
dir listing off a floppy. Compatible in every way with the os9 filesystem,
when you are finished using it for scratchpad to build a large C program,
a simple deiniz /r0 returns every single byte it used to the system memory
pool.

The descriptor is used by the driver in a very simplified way, the size is
controlled by the "dmode /r0 cyl=xx" variable, a hex number, and each
increment in the number means it will use another 8192 byte normal block
gime mapped into its view and reserved for its use.  With a 2 meg kit,
cyl=1A will give you 1.7 megs worth of ramdisk.  Slightly faster that the
equ size of surface on a hard drive. The major diff is virtually zero seek
& settle time. A seek is maybe 40 microseconds, and needs no settling
time.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)