[Coco] Rainbow on disk RAID

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Feb 17 23:37:16 EST 2015

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 11:11:39 PM Brian Goers wrote:
> On 2/17/2015 2:16 PM, John Guin wrote:
> So what is BOINC?
> A search of acronyms did not give me a answer.

BOINC is what happened to setiathome when the windows folks took over.  At
one point a decade back I was in the top 5000 seti report producers on the
planet, even have a reward plaque on the wall behind me.  It ran at a nice
level that made sure it was a background task you never noticed.  The
windows dweebs took over and turned it into BOINC, but in the process lost
all pretense of sharing the users computer with the user.  On linux it was
a cpu hog you couldn't find enough slop to make it happy.

I fussed some on their mailing list such as it was, and was told it works
on windows, what's the problem?  I tried to modify its supervisor program
but every time it exchanged results, my edits were over written, so after
a month of not having a machine I could use, I shut it down and purged it
from the system.  The overall framework of BOINC made it friendly to doing
medical research so that was added to the menu as foldingathome, but I've
not kept pace with it for at least 8 years now.

I loudly disagree with using the setiathome project for doing free medical
research some a$$hole will patent for billions without ever saying thank
you to the users that did the research for free.  Sorry Dennis, but it has
to be said, that is the sort of steaming stuff you find on the ground
behind the male bovine. And us old Iowa farm kids called it BS, then and
now.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)