[Coco] Rainbow on disk RAID

John Guin johnguin at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 17 15:16:39 EST 2015

How big is a sector on one of these disks?  And is a sector as small a unit as the corruption is manifested?

And then, how hard would it be to 'brute force' a routine to develop every conceivable sector value and try them until one works?  (This assumes there is no checksum anywhere that could make this much easier)?

With today's hardware, even if there were billions of possible sectors, I can't see that presenting too much of a challenge.  Heck, now that I think about it, this could be a project for BOINC or similar - "Help try combinations of values to restore old floppy media for legacy computers."

Of course, validation correctness would be a problem.

John