[Coco] Problem with dw command

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Feb 17 13:22:29 EST 2015

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 10:03:58 AM Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> It's a good idea to use one of the premade stock NitrOS9 disks or to
> build your own from the current NitrOS9 source.  There are many bug
> fixes in many parts of the latest NitrOS9 release and depending on how
> old a system you're shoehorning things into, they might not be fixed
> on your system, potentially leading to all kinds of strange and hard
> to track down issues. If you must update an existing disk, it would be
> best to update everything, not just stick currently DW modules into an
> old system (I don't mean to assume this is what happened in this case,
> just general advice)

Along this same line of thinking, each time I build a new pull, I have
been mounting the various images in dw, and dsaveing the contents of each
images nitros9/architecture to my own nitros9/6309L2|6809l2 (or L3 as the
case might be) and could easily add two more subdirs for the L1 stuffs as
the drive is a gigabyte drive.

A question arises however when I do this dsave operation from the
generated sdc.dsk.  Am I in danger of overwriting an existing driver or
filemanager from the sdc image that isn't compatible when doing a non-sdc
build?  The thing in my alleged mind seems to be that having a completely
separate subdir and tree just for the sdc stuff is getting to be ungainly.

So can I just dsave -r it to the 6309L2 tree?

I have the sdc plugged into slot 1, but of course its invisible to nitros9
without its drivers & descriptors.  I did get a dos-1.3 signon once, by
powering the whole system up with the switch set at slot 1, so until I
find differently I assume it is working.  I do NOT like doing the
powerdowns though, its hell on hard drives, and these two old Seagate
hawks are not readily replaceable.

But, I also find that I need to add some more math to bootlink and give me
a report at startup indicating which of the 255 choices of vdisks hdbdos
allows, it is getting its os9boot file from now. I can change it, then
unless I put a postit on the monitor, I promptly forget which boot I am
actually using.

Getting ancient is not for wimps, don't do it if you can avoid it...
Another wag once said that if he had known he was going to live this long,
he would have taken lots better care of himself.  Me too...

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)