[Coco] Magazine archiving

Jim Carpenter jim at deitygraveyard.com
Fri Feb 13 20:52:14 EST 2015

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 3:15 PM, Bill <cwgordon at carolina.rr.com> wrote:
> I'm working with an auto/manual scanner, so I could cut them apart and scan
> them automatically.

It has a sheet feeder? I would not use that.

Using automatic sheet feeders for scanning magazines can make a real
mess of things. Pages get dogeared and/or get partly or completely
hidden because two or more pages went through at once. So you may end
up damaging the magazines for no good reason. Go to your corner
newsstand, buy a cheap magazine, cut it up, and see how it works out.

Please make sure that all scanned pages are cropped to the same size,
just as all the pages in the magazine are the same size. I hate going
through scans that have been turned into PDFs where each page is a
slightly different size than the one before it. (unless it was
something like a reader service card or some other insert)

And please don't use any "auto" settings! For example, you really
don't want each page in each magazine to have a different color
balance. Yuk!

The guy that did the first scans of BYTE magazine made all these
mistakes and then some. The end result were lots of destroyed BYTE
magazines and completely worthless scans that others later had to
redo. I went through all of them while making a torrent and I don't
believe I found a single issue that didn't have to be totally redone.
:(

Jim