[Coco] Wrong palette on CoCo3 issue - MYSTERY SOLVED!

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Fri Feb 13 13:44:32 EST 2015

On 13/02/2015 9:22 PM, Cocodemus wrote:
> Told ya the problem was your pal coco3 ;)

Well, actually the problem is the NTSC CoCo3. PAL CoCo3's work
correctly. We don't have the 2 different palettes schemes.

It seems silly that when one uses the better RGB video output with a RGB
monitor as the default standard monitor, it boots up with the wrong
color palette set.

We don't have that in PAL. Regardless of monitor type used, the CoCo
boots with the RGB colorset and the colors are correct from startup.

This could be an option that could be incorporated in the SDC startup
configuration for the next SDC firmware upgrade... a setting to specify
the monitor being used by default. BASIC could look at the startup value
on boot and set the appropriate palette set just as holding down the F1
(or F2?) key on boot does  and who remembers to hold that down?

The mystery is why I haven't noticed this earlier? Was VCC using a PAL
version of the CC3 ROM in an earlier version or was there a version of
VCC at some point that did boot in RGB by default?

VCC emulates an NTSC CoCo3 using a 1986 GIME version.

Nick