[Coco] RGB2VGA

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Feb 13 12:39:17 EST 2015

On Friday, February 13, 2015 10:17:20 AM Mark Schoenberger via Coco wrote:
> I have this board hooked up to my Amiga 2000.آ  Works very well. I
> haven't made an adapter cable for the Coco, yet, but I am sure it will
> work.
> آ
Yikes!  Teach ymail some manners Mark, you just included in your reply 32
kilobytes of a daily summary, encoded as a base 64 format.  Which I have
deleted.

Short answer is yes.

The longer answer is that you will have to add a chip in the coco to
combine the H&V syncs and invert the mix to use this card.  Otherwise it
won't sync to the upside down signals the 10 pin socket provides.

I've since become the owner of one of Roy's 2nd generation cards which
works much better IMO. The jamma cards output is rather low, and in spite
of that, its inputs are also fairly easy to saturate, rendering the hf
components of the coco3's output to slow to even let the vertical bars of
an 80 column character render on screen, so certain colors of screens
(blue in particular) are not usable at all.  90% of the fault lies in the
gime itself, its own video outputs are too slow to do it well, but to have
character detail just disappear can leave one guessing as to whether you
typed an n or an m in many cases.  Since they are adjacent on the
keyboard, its too easy to do anyway, without a poor display that does not
clearly show the difference adding to the error.  The gime is so puny in
its output drive that adding the 11 pf of one of my 10x scope probes so I
can measure its rise time is easily seen in the further smearing of the
output image in the color I was tapped onto. The rise time? over 400ns at
the output of the buffer transistor, where the scope probes influence
cannot be discerned on screen.  For accurate renditions, at NTSC speeds,
this needs to be about 120ns or less, 120 being the limit for NTSC when
its kept within a 4.1Mhz bandwidth when we transmitted it from 1946 to
2008.  Yeah, me retired tv engineer. The gime's output transistors simply
are not big enough.  The designers may have had a power budget that did
not allow that, but no one here is privy to that info.

I have had, in the back of my mind, the idea to replace those 3 buffer
transistors with a modern video speed op-amp, with enough hf boost built
in to alleviate that problem, but seem to have miss-laid my round tuit.

That and I'm getting lazy in my dotage. ;-)

I do not think it would be that big a problem to do, and it should, if
close enough to the gime, be able to do it without emphasizing any other
hf clocking noises the gime may produce.

Adequate supply rail bypassing to reduce that noise at the source,
bypassing thats lacking in the coco3, might be required, as would an
additional volt of supply. That I don't believe would heat it to a degree
to effect its dependability, but I was amazed at its improved performance
in my coco3 when I bypassed a 10 ohm resistor in its 5 volt line 1/2"
south of the socket where some d__ned bean counter had replaced a ferrite
bead used by the designer, as shown on the published schematics, used for
noise control with the only 10% as costly resistor when it was converted
to a Bill of Materials for production.  That bypassing gained only about
80 millivolts of supply at the chip. And made a huge difference in the
quality of the video.

I have also entertained the thought of removing said resistor and
replacing it with a teeny voltage booster that I could adjust upward from
unity to perhaps another volt, keeping a close watch on its temperature
with an IR thermometer.  It seems to be very very sensitive. 1987 version
in this machine.  Since  I have external power in mine, with power to
throw away, there is also the possibility of setting up an lm324 running
from the 12 volt line to feed it 5.5 or more volts. Feed it into the pcb
hole where the far end of that 10 ohm is now.

I've also toyed with the idea of bypassing the gimes video outputs by
grabbing the data when the gime reads it, and doing my own 3 channel D to
A. But that isn't something the stock coco has power supply enough to get
away with. That of course is something that would have to be done on a pcb
under the main pcb as there isn't room on top for anything like that.

I'll get me coat now...

Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)