[Coco] I, Cringely Remembering Radio Shack - I, Cringely

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Thu Feb 12 12:56:25 EST 2015

Chris, Radio Sack was not a part of Tandy until 1962 when Tandy bought the near bankrupt Radio Shack chain.
And yes, the "original" Radio Shack was started in 1921. But what we know as Radio Shack didn't exist until Tandy revamped the stores into the Radio Shack of the '60s, '70s, & '80s. The 90s started out slow then just trickled out all together :-(

All I can say is I will really miss the 'Shack'... it served many of my electronic needs (and my imagination) for many years, eventually marrying my love of music to computers and starting what was to become my Computer based recording studio. Had it not been for a little 16k Coco 2 sitting on the "Manager's Special" table in Radio Shack, playing "William Tell's Overture" through an Orchestra 90 pak, I may have never gotten into computers.
I guess I owe them a big "THANK YOU" for all they did for me in the past.

Like the "Sear's Christmas Catalog" was to most others, the Radio Shack catalog was a bathroom reading staple for the electronics buff :-)

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com