[Coco] Serial to Ethernet

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 15:40:00 EST 2015

On Feb 10, 2015 3:24 PM, "Tormod Volden" <lists.tormod at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 9:18 PM, William Mikrut wrote:
> > Just think about what it would mean for the Coco.  A plug in network
> > adapter.
> >
> > Simple emails... games...cloud storage.  Heck, live chat right from the
> > console.
> >
> > It would open a whole new world if it was available.
>
> You are aware you can do that already, via the DriveWire server? A
> cartridge solution could be faster though.
>
> Regards,
> Tormod

Everything I added to DW (networking, etc) was in hopes we could start
making software now for hardware that would come in "the future".  Ideally
you could just change drivers and a program that does Internet stuff via
Drivewire would do Internet stuff via some hardware solution without
changes.  Unfortunately since I had no idea what that hardware might look
like or how it would work, I had to guess a lot.  If the wiznet chips had
existed then, I would have cloned their API.  I did implement one not very
different, and also a Hayes AT command API, but it's different enough that
software would be best redone specifically for the wiznet.  OTOH we still
don't have any hardware and there's very little software using the DW APIs
so not a huge deal in any case.