[Coco] Serial to Ethernet

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Feb 10 13:57:58 EST 2015

On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 01:38:22 PM Joe Grubbs wrote:
> Hello gang,
>
> I was thinking of getting something like this to connect a couple CoCos
> to my DW server. Since serial ports are at a premium (that is to say,
> non-existent), and running single Cat5 wire is uber-easy, it seems
> like a cool way to go. Question is, has anyone done this and does it
> work? The feature list of DW seems to indicate it does, but I'd like
> to hear from someone who has direct experience so I know if it's a
> good or catastrophically terrible idea.
>
> http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_213
> 2699_-1

There could be a few milliseconds of added latency, but at that price, way
cheaper than the 10 meter long USB2.1 extension cables I use. My setup
uses a USB port, with a hub at the coco end of the cable where a printer
thats available from any machine on my net, and the coco is plugged into
that hub via an FDTI usb-seriel adaptor.  Everything works well as long as
the server is started before the coco is rebooted.  The coco will NOT sit
around waiting for the server to check in.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)