[Coco] New project for loading DriveWire HDB-DOS

Joe Grubbs jsgrubbs at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 9 09:09:43 EST 2015

I had an idea based on some stuff I've done many many moons ago.

I don't really want to swap my CoCoSDC around to different machines, I'd rather leave it mostly in one primary machine. However I'd like to run DriveWire on my other CoCos. In lieu of using my cassette deck to load HDB-DOS, I'm playing with the idea of building a small module using one of those ISD audio storage ICs. It would plug into the cassette port on the CoCo and playback would be triggered by the CoCo's cassette remote pin. This way I'd have a reliable and very portable way to get connected, and with media that never "wears out".

Has anyone tried anything like this before? If it works, I'll be thrilled. There seem to be many ICs available, offering the frequency response necessary to accommodate FSK audio as well as sufficient storage length.