[Coco] DriveWire 4 and Linux serial port

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sun Feb 8 07:35:37 EST 2015

> While you may have the Pi handy, as you've seen, real X support is lacking.
> You would I suspect, have a lot better luck using the Beaglebone Black,
> which does have built in HDMI output, just plug the cable into the connector
> on the Pi sized board.

I will have to look in to Beaglebone sometime, but they are kind of out of my price range if they are $70. The Pi is as low as $25 (if that model can run Java on 256MB) or $35 for the 1gb quad core version that just came out. It's also very widespread with tons of support.

As to USB, rather than go with a USB, I'm going to be just using the UART on the Pi (TTL levels) with a TTL-RS232 adapter. That removes one more layer of software and is even slightly cheaper.

It's pretty cool, and I like that DW could be used so inexpensively. I plan to have all of this packaged up so it will be turn-key for anyone who wants to get in to it, but may not have a PC next to their CoCo (or just wants to toss it all in a box, and pull it out whenever they want without tethering to their desk).

		-- A