[Coco] OS-9 windowing: What is GRP 206?

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sat Feb 7 20:34:05 EST 2015

> On Feb 7, 2015, at 7:20 PM, Willard Goosey <goosey at virgo.sdc.org> wrote:
>
>> 2. Does the redundant data in stdfonts serve a purpose?
>>
> [...]
>> offset $889:
>> 1b 2b ce 04 05 00 08 00 08 00 08 00 20 30 38 38 30 20 ff
> 1b 2b gpload
> ce group 206
> 04 buf 4
> 05 screen type 640x192 2 color
> 00 08 x
> 00 08 y
> 00 08 len
> 00 ........
> 20 ..#.....
> 30 ..##,,,,
> 38 ..###...
> 30 ..##....
> 20 ..#.....
> ff ########
>
> Right arrow? Play? Actually it looks familiar (in an os9
> context). Does GSHELL use that character?
>
> I would guess maybe multivue added group 206 for gshell's special
> characters? Are these in the stock os9LII stdfonts? Multivue's
> stdfonts? Or were they added later?

If they are part of MultiVue, there would still be an issue with the redundant ones that are loaded multiple times.

I wrote a quick BinToTxt program to convert it to data statements, and looked at it that way. There are *18* Group 206 tiny buffers loaded (6 to 8 bytes of data each).

I sorted just those lines, and see it is really just SIX items, each one repeated twice. (Loading 1b 2b ce buffers 1-6).

This looks like it can definitely be cleaned up. Perhaps someone merged something 3X by mistake at some point. I'd have to look at the stock OS-9 stdfonts to see.

I can fix this and see about getting it submitted, but I would like to know what 206 is and if it is even supposed to be in there. What if it's from some multivue thing and someone, long ago, merged and nothing happened, so they merged again, and nothing happened, and they merged again and finally used the right file? :)

--
Allen Huffman - PO Box 22031 - Clive IA 50325 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
Sub-Etha Software - http://www.subethasoftware.com - Established 1990!

P.S. Since 4/15/14, I have earned OVER $600  in Amazon gift cards via Swagbucks! Use my link and I get credit:
http://swagbucks.com/refer/allenhuffman