[Coco] [OT} OS-9 on Raspberry Pi

Theodore (Alex) Evans alxevans at concentric.net
Sat Feb 7 11:45:26 EST 2015

On 02/03/2015 05:19 PM, John Guin wrote:
> It's not a customer issue.  It was (allegedly) caused by developers back in the day doing something like:
>
> If (getWindowsVersion.contains("Windows9*"):
> 	//then assume windows 95/98 ....
>
> So calling a Windows version "Windows 9" would break a lot of old software.
>
> PC World - among many others - ran an article on this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2690724/why-windows-10-isnt-named-9-windows-95-legacy-code.html
>
> Tagging this as off topic since we are off into a Windows conversation,
> John

This may be the excuse they put forward, but it is clearly BS as they
could have called it Windows 9 then made the Version string be whatever
they wanted it to be to avoid this issue.  Thins like "Windows_9",
"WindowsIX", "WindowsNine", Windows-9", etc.  Of course MS has never
used a consistent scheme for naming the various versions of their software.