[Coco] rcrislip at neo.rr.com

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Feb 7 11:57:49 EST 2015

On Saturday, February 07, 2015 10:12:14 AM Chad H wrote:
> The whole "PIA" keeps getting me.  Since I don't know what it really
> means my brain keeps reverting to "pain in a$$"

PIA=Peripheral Interface Adaptor=a 6821 or 6822, one has open collector
outputs meaning it can only pull down to about .1 volts, the other is a
normal TTL "totem-pole" output, a quick and dirty push-pull output, with the
sink side transistor being the strong one.

They can pull up, but runs out of pull at about 3.5 volts UNLESS there is a
cmos version, which I am not aware of, but which could in that event pull
rail to rail in its output voltage swing ability.  There are CMOS versions
made I'm sure, but the likelood of being a footprint dropin replacement is
probably pretty low,

While I am on a roll at this, CMOS=Complimentary Metal Oxide Semiconductor.

Easily destroyed by its inputs being subjected to static discharges. A
single  electron forced thru the gate insulating silicon dioxide layer
wrecks it)  In a steady state condition it draws only the power being
delivered to its outputs.  The only other power it uses is that needed to
charge and discharge the gate capacitance because it is effectively a large
capacitance from the atomic layer thickness between the plates of the
capacitor that forms the transistors structure.

Speed limited in the original 4000 family of chips from RCA by how fast it
can charge or discharge the gate of the transistor, rated at a max of 15
volts for its logic supply, but in reality tough as nails. I once used the
4000 stuff in a very very early  character generator made by 3M in about
1977, adding a color controlled border around the characters. But as that
took sub-microsecond speeds to do that, I used both the + and minus supplies
available, which totalled up to 28 volts, but only on the edge decoder, a
4028.  It ran with detectable heat doing that but did it for quite a few
years without a failure.

The technology has advanced enough today that it can now run at gigahertz
speeds for the newer chips.

I'll get me coat now.  :)

[...]

Cheers, Gene Heskett