[Coco] drive crash

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Feb 6 15:29:09 EST 2015

On Friday, February 06, 2015 10:18:58 AM John Guin wrote:
> 82000 message for 5GB?  That works out to more than 100K per message.
> That seems really high for text mail.  Or did I misunderstand your
> analysis?

I get about 60kb per message.  Most is text, so it is puzzling. Some of us
do not snip unrelated content, and that includes me, but 10-15k with headers
seems much more reasonable.

Interestingly, now that its imported, du -h says it is useing about 640M of
disk.  I may have miss-spoke. I mentally missplaced a decimal point, the
original file is 480Megs.  But even at that size, the search time for a new
message was close to a minute on a 2.2GHz phenom with 8Gigs of ram to play
in.  Now that its a maildir with all those files, its still feels faster by
quite a bit.

> This just jumped out at me,
> John

You must be a math major. :)