[Coco] Radio Shack Files Chapter 11

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Feb 5 18:13:36 EST 2015

On Thursday, February 05, 2015 05:34:40 PM tim franklinlabs.com wrote:
>    Sad day for CoCo fans...
>

> [1]http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2015/02/05/radioshack-files-fo
> r-chapter-11-bankruptcy/
>
>    Sorry for double post... It went to the wrong thread.
>
> References
>
>    1.
> http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2015/02/05/radioshack-files-for-ch
> apter-11-bankruptcy/

Much as I hate to say it, the end of both an era, and an error they made 15
years ago, trying to compete in the cell phone business, the most cut-throat
there is, when everyone was already switching to blabberry's & other smart
phones like the ipad is today.

Sniff, snivel, sob hell, I need a beer.

I can remember when Radio Shack was THE goto store if you needed ANYTHING
electronic.  They did keep small town broadcasters on the air, even had
better transistors than the OEM transistors to fix a Harris MW-1a or a SX-1,
the std transmitter for the usual 1kw daytimers.  I once had to replace the
driver transistor in an MW-1a, ran over to the shack and got a cd radio
output bug, same to-220 pkg.  It had about 5x the gain, and raised the
overall efficiency of the finals from 87% to almost 93%, and I had to seriously
detune it to get it back down to the legal 1KW of output.  For all I know,
that transmitter might still be on the air, its at KSUE in Susanville CA. I
doubt it, thts 35 years back up the log now. But my local daytimer has a
Gates 1  kw, tube type, thats pushing 55 years old.  It does need some TLC,
but he has a ticket to build a 25kw daytimer, so that is where his efforts
are going. He had it up and running about 2 years ago, but the hill he was
on slipped and dropped his tower, and while he was working on that, the land
he had an access agreement to cross was sold at the estate sale & the new
owner closed the road.  He's been in court for the last 18 months trying to
regain vehicle access to the property he bought.

He owns a dozer, and if he was as short on patience as I am, I would have
made my own trail right thru the 8' high chain link fencing.  Good thing I
am NOT

Sigh, now I am glad I stocked up on small diagonal cutters last fall.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)