[Coco] [OT} OS-9 on Raspberry Pi

Louis Ciotti lciotti1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 09:55:34 EST 2015

While like many on this list I use multiple OSs, and I ahve tried to go the
opensource route, for everyday computing I have found linux to work fine.
OSX is sort-of linux, but they have dedicated paid developers working on
the code to improve and fix bugs.  Windows is still my main OS, mainly
because that is what the corporate world uses, and for developemt using CAD
there is very little available on OSX or linux.  And quite frankly I do not
blame the developers for this.  CAD is a specialized market, and a small
percentage of the installed user base.

I hear this argument from every opensource person that the security is
better, bugs are repaired faster, etc... while this is true, I look at it
in terms of applications, and honestly there is not one linux application
out there that there is not a better commercial counter part... now I am
talking applications here, not the OS.

Security wise linux may well infact be more secure, but I believe that part
of that is false statistics.  In general the people who get infected or
hacked are the common users who treat there computer like it is a TV...
Sure even the people who know better get the stray virus etc, but if you
understand what to look for, and what not to due you are pretty safe using
windows.  The other problem with the comparison is the installed user
base.  I would venture that is you looked at just desktops and pulled
servers and tablets out of the equiation you wold find that probable 80-90%
of DESKTOPS/LAPTOPS will have windows on them, so of course that is were
the virus writers, and hackers are going to focus there efforts.