[Coco] Copying over an IO ERROR

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Tue Feb 3 22:34:36 EST 2015

I wonder if anyone has ever written a read-track based CoCo disk zapper for
recovering damaged data.  I would envision something that would read the
desired track and use some smart algorithms to try to intelligently guess
where the sector boundaries lie, allowing the user to modify these in some
user-friendly fashion (e.g., using the arrow keys to adjust the boundaries
of a 256-byte region and edit bytes within there) and save a copy of the
modified sector.
(I seem to remember hearing, from an author of Spit N Image, that the read
track command is a little twitchy, so that you don't always get exactly the
same result if you use it twice in a row.)

One problem is that you can't just do a read track, modify a bit of data,
and save it back out with a write track.  There are a few byte values that
the write track command uses for things like "generate a CRC here" that
mess you up if you happen to have one of these bytes in the data that the
disk contains.  So saving would have to be by means of sector, not track,
writes.

Art