[Coco] OS-9 on Raspberry Pi

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Tue Feb 3 14:35:39 EST 2015

> On Feb 3, 2015, at 1:25 PM, Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) <retrocanada76 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The question is why a regular user would ever want OS-9 on a PI? This has a
> very specific niche right ? For what is it used today ? RTOS ? Automation ?

I have OS-9 on my CoCo. For what purpose? I run software on it, or write software for it. Same as any OS on any platform.

And yes. I have developed two programs on the Pi for a local haunted house attraction. One is a ticket management system, and the other is something else that we may be getting a patent on. During all of that, I kept thinking how much easier it would be to design them for OS-9. "If only..."

I may get my chance :) For anything that's not using all the high level networking protocols, web servers, GUIs, etc., the blazing speed of OS-9 and it's low memory usage would be much better for those types of apps.

And, due to the realtime nature, it could do some things with I/O that the Linux Pi can't. Note how many Pi programs use an Arduino in conjunction to handle the I/O.

		-- A