[Coco] Nitro9 and 'startup' file

Chuck Rose ctchewy at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 00:58:26 EST 2015

Thanks Allen I'll check out Sysgo.  Great response and fast too!
Charles

     On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 12:39 AM, Allen Huffman <alsplace at pobox.com> wrote:

On Feb 2, 2015, at 11:13 PM, Chuck Rose via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:I'm new to this list and I'm ecstatic to have found a coco list.

Welcome back!

Keep in mind that I have quite a bit of experience with Microware's OS9, but haven't actively used it in 15 or 20 years.  I recently found and installed vcc version 1.42 on my pc.  Heck of an emulator.  I also downloaded a virtual hard disk NitrOS9.vhd from the repository on source forge.

Now on to my problem.  My 'startup' file in the root directory on the virtual hard disk(/dd), doesn't seem to execute any additions that I've added to it.  I don't get any error messages, it just doesn't execute them.  It's nothing complicated about the additions, (tmode .1 pau=1, and chd /dd/my.progs).  So I made a procedure file with just those two commands in it and edited startup to run the procedure file.  No dice, again, no error but command calling my procedure file (in the same directory as startup) was ignored.  So next I tried running my procedure file directly from /dd and the tmode pause worked but it didn't change the directory.  Not sure what could be causing this but it appears to be a bug.  Don't know if it's vcc (no other anomalies noted in RGBDOS), the hard disk image, or NitrOS9 (also no other anomalies noted).  I'm hoping that it's just my lack of experience with NitrOS9 and it something I'm doing wrong.

tmode and chd won’t work from a script file. What happens is this:
1. OS-9 boots…2. “SysGo” program (formerly called cc3go I think) runs, and launches a shell with input redirected from “startup”3. Shell runs, and processes the commands, including tmode and chd settings.4. That shell exits, now that settings are gone.5. SysGo launches YOUR shell.
NitrOS-9 comes with shell+ as the default shell, and it may have some provisions for running a login type file, but since SysGo is doing the launching, there’s no place to put that in that I can see.
Anyone else?
You can patch the descriptor for /term to turn on pause so it’s always there, too. I can walk you through doing that using “dEd” disk editor if you want. I need to do that to mine.

Info about my setup.  I have vcc configured with 6309 CPU 1.79mhz with 2 megs of memory.  I have just the floppy controller and the hard disk controller in my virtual multipack.  Any ideas?

Wow. Nice :)
Do you know about CoCoSDC? The best $40 you’ll ever spend on the CoCo!
 — A