[Coco] tsmon / login

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Feb 1 19:14:59 EST 2015

On Sunday 01 February 2015 18:21:54 Allen Huffman did opine
And Gene did reply:
> At Microware, all our OS-9 systems were set up with tsmon monitoring
> the serial port(s), or the telnet daemon would launch login if you
> connected that way. I am wanting to do the same thing on OS-9/6809 but
> I am forgetting something…
>
> In my startup, I initialize some window devices…
>
> iniz term w1 w2
>
> …and at the end, I want to launch tsmon monitoring those devices
>
> ex tsmon /term /w1 /w2
>
> The one on /term works, but /w1 and /w2 never respond to ENTER. (Hmmm,
> maybe I need to echo something there to get stdin reading from them?)
>
> Also, I go from 392K FREE booting to the shell, to 360K booting that
> way. In procs, I see SysGo is still running, as well as the shell it
> spawned. I thought doing the “exâ€‌ would kill off the shell that
> was processing the startup file. I think SysGo spawns a shell to
> process startup, then at the end it spawns a new shell for the user
> — so that may explain why SysGo is still there. The thing it spawned
> (shell processing startup) never exited (it became tsmon), so it’s
> still waiting.
>
> I tried running tsmon in the background too:
>
> ex tsmon /term /w1 /w2 &
>
> What am I forgetting?
>
> 		— A

Dunno, but I wonder if its somehow related to something I have noticed but
have not figured a way out of.

The startup file never has the lock against it removed, for about the last
3 or 4 years. So if I want to putz with the startup, I have to copy it to
another name, edit it, save it, and copy -r to startup, else I get a non-
sharable file is busy when I try to save. I have tried it with no cr on
the end, up to two crs on the end, makes no diff, the lock is never
released.

FWIW, I know exactly zip about tsmon, so I've no clue if giving it more
than one target to monitor is even legal.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)