[Coco] Question for those familiar with rbf.mn

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Sun Feb 1 11:50:14 EST 2015

It would, however, break things for people that deal with files large enough to use all the segments (and we hit that a few times at work - and our default allocation was original $80 sectors/cluster; we later bumped it up to $ff to avoid such things.
We also had about 15 local users, and also some remote users for uploading files, although I don’t remember the grand total).
The safest ways to keep track of this, I think, without breaking anybodies unique circumstances, is to either create a separate file listing all files with last backed up dates (would be easy to hand edit if things went wrong, or if you want to override a file being/not being backed up, but probably pretty slow to search through). You could save space by only saving the sector number to each file entry, along with the timestamp, which would speed up searches, but modifying it by hand would be much more involved.
I do remember using a backup utility called STREAM (I think), that was fairly quick - we could back up an entire drive in one night. We also used the special FORMAT command that did 20 sectors/track (and 82 tracks on a 3.5” 720K drive, since it handled it), which gave us close to 820K per floppy. Even leaving it at 80 track gave 800K per floppy.

L. Curtis Boyle
curtisboyle at sasktel.net