[Coco] B&B's "Optimize" on 128MB

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sun Feb 1 09:31:54 EST 2015

I am a huge fan of the Burke & Burke utilities. When he came out with the graphic, and much faster, “cbm” (Compress Bitmap) program, I was very happy. It was so much faster, though it did not do a true optimization where it moved all the files near the directories they belonged to. I commented, back in the day, that after running File System Repack on my 20MB hard drive, it was silent…for awhile, at least.

Optimize fails with a nice crash on a 128MB drive with $7FFF8 sectors. I have version 1.00, and do not know if it was ever updated to work on large drives.

I am afraid to try Repack on my drive now ;-) but, hey, I can back up the .DSK image so easily, maybe I’ll work up the courage to give it a shot at some point.

		— A