[Coco] RGB2VGA PCB Change!

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Sun Feb 1 05:08:51 EST 2015

Hi Everyone,

Luis is designing a new pcb for the RGB2VGA Converter, so I will be waiting
for the completed files before I order PCBs.  I will let you know what the
change in price will be, but so I can get a handle on the orders please go
ahead and let me know which fully assembled PCBs you wish to purchase - the
RGB2VGA v2 Converter and/or the WordPak2+.  Some of the parts on the
Wordpak2+ has to come from overseas so prices tend to fluctuate.  I am
putting together a list of CURRENT prices on those kind of parts, so I will
be making an announcement on the WortdPak2+ price for a fully assembled PCB
shortly.

I've asked Luis to prepare a comparison of the features between the WordPak
1 and the Wordpak2+ that I will pass along to all of you as soon as I know
myself.  I have not looked at the files for the Wordpak 1 in a long while,
but off hand, I can tell you that the WordPak2+ has 128Kbytes of video ram
on board.

I don't remember which video modes the V9958 has that can be used with this
much video ram or which modes are currently supported in the NitrOS-9
drivers for the WordPak2+.  At last report from Luis, only the WordPak 1
video drivers were included in the NitrOS-9 repo if I remember correctly.
There may have been updates since then.  I'll have to check with Luis on
this and get back to you.  I will definitely be interested in what all
people will be able to do with the Wordpak2+.

One person asked me if the RGB2VGA converter is for the Coco 3.  Yes!  It
has a 2x5 male header on the PCB to support the Coco 3 RGB output so the
Coco 3 through the RGB2VGA converter has another choice for a VGA monitor!
Also there is a Monochrome Video input into the green channel on this PCB as
well.  Luis, how hard would it be to have a Color Composite Video Input as
well?  Ideas, Comments, proposals, etc.

The Wordpak2+ VGA Controller was originally designed to be used with the
Coco 2 using NitrOS-9 L1, but I am going to use mine on either a Coco 1 or a
Coco 2 with NitrOS-9 L1.  I'm wondering if the WordPak2+ drivers can be used
on NitrOS-9 L2 as well.  Luis, if you are reading this, would you comment on
this and put all the driver capabilities into your Features list as well?
Thanks a bunch my friend.

To all those individuals who are or will take advantage of this offer I have
made, Thank you.  You have a very appreciative CoCo Buddy!  Remember, please
get all your order requests in now or as soon as possible so I can get
together all the orders for parts.  There is quite a bit for me to do to get
going on this project.  I am looking forward to making some PCBs for all of
you guys!  Thank you very much and take care my friends!

Kip Koon

 <mailto:computerdoc at sc.rr.com> computerdoc at sc.rr.com

 <http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Kip_Koon>