[Coco] Question for those familiar with rbf.mn

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sun Feb 1 03:41:54 EST 2015

> On Feb 1, 2015, at 2:21 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
>
> Generally, that write will fail, but if it did, I would not kill the
> process, I would hop over to another window and cut the sas in half with
> dmode, effectively making less than normal sas sized bits of the drive
> usable.

Clever.

> The last time I ran it, it was way more than 20 hours.  But I haven't run
> it in probably 10 years now.

Yeah, once I got two SyQuest EZ135 drives, my defrag was dsave to another platter ;-)  That’s actually Microware’s official response to fragmentation, too. Or was when I was there.

> I suspect the majority of the time is being spent looking for a sas sized
> place to put it. 128(131 something in decimal) megs is the largest that
> can be represented in the FAT when the cluster size is 1.  The system
> does, or did, keep track and did not have to search the whole FAT in the
> past except for the first write after a reboot.  After that it got
> noticeably faster when I was still using a Maxtor 7120s drive on a 4n1
> controller.

With 64K for the FAT, I don’t expect it to be loading that in memory and keeping it around.

> I have 2 identical seagate hawk 1Gb drives on my system, one of which is
> only formatted for about 490 megs for os9, the remainder available for
> HDBDOS and vdisks, so if I ever wanted to, I could setup several more
> HDBDOS "partitions" of 256 disks each since3 each such allocation is just
> over 80 megs.  The other I formatted all for os9.  Drive 0 uses a cluster
> size of 4 sectors, while drive 1 (/s1 in my  lashup) uses a 16 sector
> cluster.  Neither seems to be suffering from the nearly full FAT so far.

I am still scared of cluster sizes >1 — I use alot of Burke & Burke tools.

But, I expect two 128MB drives with CoCoSDC will more than suffice. The only reason I filled mine up is I was copying over backed up Compact Flash cards from SuperIDE and my SyQuest, and most of those are redundant. Once I clean stuff up, I think I will be back to 50MB of actual “stuff” that is mine.

Thanks.
--
Allen Huffman - PO Box 22031 - Clive IA 50325 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
Sub-Etha Software - http://www.subethasoftware.com - Established 1990!

P.S. Since 4/15/14, I have earned OVER $600  in Amazon gift cards via Swagbucks! Use my link and I get credit:
http://swagbucks.com/refer/allenhuffman