[Coco] OS9 68K, MM/1 software and questions

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 23:03:07 EST 2015

> On Dec 30, 2015, at 9:55 PM, Joel Ewy <jcewy at swbell.net> wrote:
>
> On 12/28/2015 08:48 PM, Zippster wrote:
>> Nick,
>> It is a real oddball system, and pretty unique, which is why I find it interesting I’m sure.
>> I was interested to find out while investigating OS9 that the Phillips CD-i system was based on it.
>> As it seems some industrial, scientific, and embedded systems were.
>
> I wouldn't say the CD-i was based on the MM/1, but rather the other way around.  The MM/1 used a chipset originally developed for the CD-i standard as the basis for an OS-9 computer.  CD-i does run OS-9/68K under the hood.

Yes, I meant to say that CD-i used OS9.

> Are you replicating the older I/O and backplane set, or the newer? As I mentioned in my previous message, I have a bunch of parts for the (flawed) later revision boards, including bare PCBs.  Many of the parts are the same, though I recall that the SCSI chip went from DIP to PLCC on the 3.0 I/O boards.  I have long since written off the cost of these parts, and would love to see more people be able to get their hands on an MM/1, so if there's enough interest to justify more machines than the 12 you've already committed to, I'd be willing to make this stuff available at labor-of-love prices.
>
> JCE

My plan was to replicate the older IO and backplane, as that’s what I have available to refer to.
I need to gain a better understanding of the differences between them.  Was there only one CPU PCB version?

It sounds like there was 3 versions of the I/O, and 2 of the Minibus?

- Ed