[Coco] OS9 68K, MM/1 software and questions

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Wed Dec 30 21:51:18 EST 2015

On 12/29/2015 04:19 AM, Mark McDougall wrote:
> On 29/12/2015 1:48 PM, Zippster wrote:
>
>> My hope is that the project will go well, and will leave in it’s wake
>> a nice archive with design files, software, a history put together
>> from what can be scoured up.  A small, and hopefully somewhat
>> complete testament to a rare and interesting machine and a piece of
>> (in a way) Color Computer history.
>
> I'd be interested in porting Lode Runner to it.
Eric Crichlow did a Lode Runner clone called Gold Runner 2000.  I
believe I have a copy I bought from him at CoCoFest around '98/'99.
There was a famous dispute about whether such a game could be coded for
the MM/1 using only OS-9 legal programming (not hitting the hardware
directly, except for writing directly into video memory). The result was
two games -- one for the CoCo 3 and the other for the MM/1.  Those are
about the only details of the story I can bring up from memory.  I'm
sure this is recorded somewhere.

If you get a machine I'll supply you with GR2K.
> Does anyone know if there's a decent C compiler for it?

If you don't care for the official OS-9 C compiler, early versions of
GCC were ported to OS-9/M68K and ran on the MM/1.  That got you ANSI (as
of early '90s) and C++.

JCE