[Coco] OS9 68K, MM/1 software and questions

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 21:48:08 EST 2015

Nick,

No, they are not a CoCo4 for sure.  I got the impression from reading old articles
and newsletters that it was a successor to the CoCo line only for those who were
into OS9 on the CoCo.

It is a real oddball system, and pretty unique, which is why I find it interesting I’m sure.
I was interested to find out while investigating OS9 that the Phillips CD-i system was based on it.
As it seems some industrial, scientific, and embedded systems were.

Not particularly user-friendly, and very technical from a user standpoint (compared to mainstream OSs).
Somehow very alluring… lol…

And yes, the remakes will be fairly expensive.  I don’t know for sure yet, but I’d guess around $250 for
a set of three boards (CPU, I/O, and Minibus).  It can’t be helped, the IC’s alone are going to run
~ $120 for a set of boards. Not counting SIMMS for the IO board.  Then PCBs, passives, sockets, connectors, etc…

That’s why I only intend to make 12 of them, 2 of which I want to keep.

I’ve already got a lot of chips on the way, so I guess I’m in however it turns out.

My hope is that the project will go well, and will leave in it’s wake a nice archive with design files, software,
a history put together from what can be scoured up.  A small, and hopefully somewhat complete testament
to a rare and interesting machine and a piece of (in a way) Color Computer history.

- Ed