[Coco] OTPROMs and MPUs

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Fri Dec 11 01:43:07 EST 2015

If anyone is interested I have a bunch of brand new OTP (one-time
programmable) 27C256s left over from when I used to buy them by the
hundreds (28-pin DIP).  I believe most of them are Atmel but I'd have to
check.  I have tubes and tubes of them.  You can have them for a buck
apiece or maybe cheaper in quantity.  One time programmable though.
They are plastic cases with no quartz window for erasing although Marty
Goodman once said they could be erased with X-rays.  I've never had the
luxury of verifying that.

I don't know if I've mentioned it here before or not but I also have at
least a hundred MC68HC11F1CFN4 chips that could be had for around $6
apiece.  The instruction set is very similar to a 6809 but a little more
restrictive.  Pretty much the same basic internal registers.  This chip
has the full non-multiplexed address and data bus that will run at an
internal clock speed of 4 MHz.  It's got a bunch of extra MPU type stuff
too like I/O ports, timers, watchdog, UART, SPI, etc.  If you're into
hardware and are familiar with Motorola 8-bit stuff then this would be
right up your alley.

Dave Philipsen