[Coco] 512K EEPROM...or 4MB!!?

Chad H chadbh74 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 9 00:10:42 EST 2015

Again, with the addressing control setup for parallel EEPROM's (Which interface seamlessly with the CoCo Cartridge BUS), breaking it down further for 2K access or whatever would further complicate the entire circuit.  The minimum chunk size (because nothing lower than the A13 address line is controlled) is 8K.  The hardware/software can already vary the control over the A13/A14 lines to switch in 8K/16K/32K segments, but even then you have to follow the rules of the lines so to speak.  You can't just chop a segment anywhere you like, it has to be at the address boundaries, unless you write a lot of assembly code embedded into the ROM sections like some games (MindRoll) do in order to execute mid-bank.  My Arduino code can already boot whichever 8K-32K bank you have set to for 'Default' automatically.  Plus, the source code is available for download for anyone to tweak and customize.

The 4MB option is just a concept at this point.  The 512K setup is tested solid and is working great.  I already know that, in order to make the TSOP40 chip I'm looking at practical, there will be small cost increase due to making an adapter to allow the soldered SMD chip to be removed for programming.  Even if we soldered it directly to the cartridge board and made it programmable by the CoCo, there would be other extra costs for the required IC's and probably board space increase necessary to support that functionality.

My goal is to maximize storage space and make it as easy as possible to switch .ROM's at will while keeping the design as simple as possible and cheap as possible.  The jumper control is simple and cheap, the external controller makes it much simpler but not quite as cheap.

I'm thinking some people would like to just leave off the external controller and program/select ROM's from the CoCo...That's a CoCo SDC, although it only has 128K in-system-programmable Flash.  I think Zippster did a batch of those last year with permission from Darren Atkinson, the designer.  Perhaps more can be made for those that desire one, maybe even the Flash memory expanded on it. Whereas the CoCo SDC is really more of a 'Combo' all-in-one kind of card as a floppy replacement/EEPROM board my focus was on making a EEPROM board with as much bank selectable storage as possible, easily controlled, and that’s it.  For me, my EEPROM boards are just an evolution from Mark J. Blair's original EPROM boards. I just kept adding on to the design little by little until I decided to remove the old 24/28 DIP sockets and bump up to larger capacity type chips and the option of external remote control.  The schematics for my boards are available in the BOM documents on my site if anyone would like to do the same thing and progress it further with the ability to be programmed from the CoCo, but I imagine it would require a major overhaul of the design.

- Chad H
http://sites.google.com/site/cbhlab101/