[Coco] FPGA 6809

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon Aug 31 22:43:14 EDT 2015

Dave, there are actually multiple problems in trying to assemble any of the Nitros9 stuff from the repo on a Coco (or cocofpgs/emulator) in NitrOS9.

First, changing a name in one file, means you need to search EVERY file in the repo for any other reference to that name, including the defs.

Second, ALL the defs need massaging and renaming as the original names have been changed making them absolutely useless from within NitrOS9 itself. You need the new defs because a lot has been added. I have most of the defs converted so I can use the newer system calls in my projects.

Third, in ALL the sources, all the "Section" stuff needs to be removed and in cases of "rma" sources (there are a couple), "section" needs to be replace by "psect" & "endsect" and all variable put in "vsect" and "csect". In some of the "asm" stuff, the:

 ifp1
 use /dd/defs/os9defs
 endif

has been removed and needs to be added (lwtools is one pass so it isn't needed).

Forth, ALL the "multi-platform/multi-cpu" stuff has to be addressed (in every single file). Unless you set some equates, this stuff will drive you up the wall as EVERY file has conditionals for 2 or more build types.

There are a few other problems that I can't recall at the moment, but I know there is more.

I started a project a while back to convert the nitros9 sources to standard OS9 format, but put it aside due to the repo was being overhauled at the time, so I moved on to other projects. It is a much bigger task than you would think!
I would love to see NitrOS9 compile under NitrOS9 for a change. That would be AWSOME!.

Even with the emulators, you can overclock the CPU and assembly is EXTREMELY fast. I do this in compiling C sources in NitrOS9 on Vcc. I compile at about 72mhz and a 125 file multi-source project (HUGE!) compiles in less than a minute. On a real Coco this takes about 3-4 hours.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com