[Coco] FPGA 6809

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 31 08:17:03 EDT 2015

On 31/08/2015 3:18 PM, Dave Philipsen wrote:

> It seems vhdl has some
> similarities with C and as long as you have a mental picture of how the
> schematic might look then perhaps writing vhdl code might get the job done a
> little more quickly. Although, I can see where the schematic entry could
> possibly be more accurate and less wasteful of logic elements. I was
> communicating with Gary Becker who created the CoCo3 FPGA and he writes
> everything in Verilog.  He indicated that Verilog seems easier to work with
> than VHDL.

VHDL isn't much like C at all, Verilog is much more C-like. As for being
easier than VHDL, that's a religious question and very subjective. I
personally find VHDL much easier, although I have programmed in both. I
actually find Verilog better for test benches which do not require that the
resultant code be synthesizable.

Schematic entry is usually preferred by HDL developers starting out, though
some more experienced developers persist with it at the top level (only). I
find it extremely inefficient to work with, tedious to maintain, impossible
to manage in revision control software, and very non-portable across
vendors. I steer well clear of it these days.

As for being less wasteful; it you write your VDHL efficiently it won't be
any different at all to the schematic version. And you can also view the
synthesized VHDL design at the LE (gate) level if you really want to.

Regards,